Are you over 50? Retired? Want to learn something new or join a discussion group? Then U3A is for you!
You can exercise your brain by participating in or leading a group and sharing your interests with others.
U3A is an international movement which promotes and practises lifelong learning by providing low cost educational opportunities for retired people in a relaxed and informal environment. No prior educational qualifications are required; no degrees are awarded.
- Keep the Marbles Rolling (R059.01) Third session for this year with James Nichterlein starts Monday 22 August 2:00 pm, Cook Community Hub, HAGSOC Room. Enquiries: Jim Nichterlein 0431 704 263
- Politics of the Excluded in Stuart England (H155.01) - Thursdays 8-29 September, 10:00 am - 12 noon, Hughes Community Centre, Room 3. Enrolments being taken from 20 August. Contact: Brian Carr on 6282 4042 or at
- From Mahler to Glass - A Musical Journey through the XXth Century M091.01 - starts Tuesday 13 September 9:30 am - 11:30 am
- NSW coastal landscapes, their origins and evolution. Field excursion - Tuesday - Thursday 8 - 10 November 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
For more information on new courses, go to New Courses
- U3A North-South French Study Group (L080.01) - Mondays 10:00 am - 12 noon, Belconnen Soccer Club (Hawker Shops). Contact: Sean Forster at
- Beginners' Arabic (L079.01) - Tuesdays 10:00 am - 12:00 noon, Cook Community Hub, Room 2. Newcomers must be ready to catch up on reading & writing the Arabic alphabet. Contact: Wendy Mukherjee at
- Armchair History & Travels in Greece (H139.02) - Wednesdays 7-21 September from 2:00pm, Cook Community Hub, Room 3. Enrolments being taken from 20 August Contact: Peter White at or on 6258 9354.
- Your Body - How It Works (SHE0760.01) - Thursdays 8 - 22 September, 10:00 - 12 noon, Hughes Community Centre, Room 2. Enrolments being taken from 22 August Contact: Gillian Edwards at
- Beginners' Italian (L089.01) - starts Wednesday 14 September, 1:30 - 3:00 pm,Majura Centre, Dickson. Contact: Tony Crivelli at
- How Boeing's Jumbo Shrunk the World (H146.01) - Thursdays 22 Sep - 13 Oct, 2:00pm, Cook Community Hub, Room 2. Enrolments being taken from 22 August Contact: Martin Aubury at or on 6255 2347
- NHK© Easy Japanese (L090.01) - Fridays 7 October - 2 December, 10:00 am - 12 noon, Hughes Community Centre Library. Enrolments being taken from 29 August between 9:00 am & 4:00 pm Contact:Jack Cornell at or on 0407 202 338 or Judith Dorrell on 0405 520 054
- Enjoying Literature ELL003.08 - Thursdays, 10 am - 12 noon. Few vacancies; contact Margaret Pender on 0407 916 075 or ; or Helen Jackson on 6254 6527 or
- Satellite Arties of Kippax AF045.03 - Thursdays 1:00 - 4:00 pm. 5 Vacancies; contact Jan Kicenko on 6247 7071
- Northside Book Group No. 1 - monthly. 2 vacancies; contact Digby Habel at
- Argentine Tango Appreciation R056.02 - Saturdays. Few vacancies; contact Masako Yamasaki on 0429 315 855 or
- Learn to play Golf Croquet R50.05 - starts Wednesday 7 September
Changes to Courses
- Continuing Arabic L076.02 - Change of Location to Cook Community Hub, Room 2 from Thursday 18 August
- A History of Photography AF037.02 - scheduled for 4/8-6/10/2016. Cancelled due to insufficient enrolments
For more information on the above, go to
Changes, Vacancies, Cancellations and Proposed New Courses
The U3A eBulletin is an irregular bulletin which is emailed to members. It provides information about matters which may be of immediate interest to members.
The U3A Newsletter is published six times each year and reports on U3A activities, programs, courses and upcoming events. Essential reading for all U3A ACT members. Read the latest:
- Donation $5 covers the program and afternoon tea
- Further details at www.brindabellaorchestra.net
For: Accommodation Working Group (AWG)
Project: Assessment of U3A's Longer-term Accommodation Needs
- The AWG will assess U3A’s accommodation needs over the next 5-10 years and make recommendations to the Committee on how those future needs might be met.
- The Group needs one or two volunteers to assist it in this process.
- If you have experience, expertise, or even just an interest in assessing accommodation needs & facilities planning, you would be a most welcome addition to the AWG team.
Contact: Maurice Sexton at
Check out if there are any volunteer positions with U3A that you might be interested in.
Explore this site using the navigation bar and other links to:
- | learn more about U3A in Canberra |
- see the range of courses on offer |
- check out the next lunchtime forum, half day seminars or film |
- access an application form |
- read the bimonthly newsletter and eBulletins |
- keep up with the latest U3A news and events |
- see our Members' Calendar for the key dates of the U3A ACT year |
- find a list of useful links to U3A sites in Australia, community education opportunities in Canberra and sites that provide a wealth of information for senior Australians |