Are you over 50 or over? Want to learn something new or join a discussion group? Then U3A is for you!
You can exercise your brain by participating in or leading a group and sharing your interests with others.
U3A is an international movement which promotes and practises lifelong learning by providing low cost educational opportunities for retired people in a relaxed and informal environment. No prior educational qualifications are required; no degrees are awarded.
- Traveller's Tales, Part 4 - Antarctica, the Great Southern Land (H136.11) - Wednesday 5-19 October, 2 November (no session 26 October) 10:00 am - 12 noon, Hughes Community Centre, Hall Enrolments being taken from 13 September Contact: Ross Howard
- The (successful) search for a site for the Federal Capital (H160.01) - Friday, 7 October, 10:00 am - 12:30 pm, Cook, Room 3. Enrolments being taken from 13 September. Contact: Michael Dwyer on 6258 3258 or at
- The Stone Mattress as a collection of short stories (ELL089.02) - Mondays 10 Oct - 14 Nov, 2:00-4:00pm
- To Infinitives ... and beyond - exploring grammar problems - Tuesdays from 18 October for 4 weeks - 10:00 am - 12 noon Contact Graham Kearns at
- NSW coastal landscapes, their origins and evolution. Field excursion - Tuesday - Thursday 8 - 10 November 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
For more information on new courses, go to New Courses
- Beginners' Italian (L089.01) - starts Wednesday 14 September, 1:30 - 3:00 pm,Majura Centre, Dickson. Contact: Tony Crivelli at
- How Boeing's Jumbo Shrunk the World (H146.01) - Thursdays 22 Sep - 13 Oct, 2:00pm, Cook Community Hub, Room 2. Enrolments being taken from 22 August Contact: Martin Aubury at or on 6255 2347
- Traveller's Tales, Part 4 - Antarctica, the Great Southern Land (H136.11) - Wednesdays 5-26 October, 10:00am - 12:00 noon, Hughes Community Centre Hall. Enrolments being take from 19 September after 10:00am Contact: Ross Howard at
- Australian Political Personalities - some course vacancies - Three groups commencing PM Wednesday, 12 October, AM or PM on Thursday 13 October. Enrolments from 6 October, after 8:00AMContact John Campbell at or 6174 3863 or 0417 456 130
- NHK© Easy Japanese (L090.01) - Fridays 7 October - 2 December, 10:00 am - 12 noon, Hughes Community Centre Library. Enrolments being taken from 29 August between 9:00am & 4:00pm Contact: Jack Cornell at or on 0407 202 338 or Judith Dorrell on 0405 520 054
- Learn Lawn Bowls at Yowani (R029.08) - Thursdays 10 Nov - 1 Dec. Enrolments being taken from 12 September Contact: Mary Higgs on 6249 6169 or at
- Enjoying Literature ELL003.08 - Thursdays, 10 am - 12 noon. Few vacancies; contact Margaret Pender on 0407 916 075 or ; or Helen Jackson on 6254 6527 or
- Satellite Arties of Kippax AF045.03 - Thursdays 1:00 - 4:00 pm. 5 Vacancies; contact Jan Kicenko on 6247 7071
- Northside Book Group No. 1 - monthly. 2 vacancies; contact Digby Habel at
- Argentine Tango Appreciation R056.02 - Saturdays. Few vacancies; contact Masako Yamasaki on 0429 315 855 or
- Learn to play Golf Croquet R50.05 - starts Wednesday 7 September
Changes to Courses
- Learn Lawn Bowls at Yowani (R029.08) - Start date changed to Thursday 10 November
For more information on the above, go to
Changes, Vacancies, Cancellations and Proposed New Courses
The U3A eBulletin is an irregular bulletin which is emailed to members. It provides information about matters which may be of immediate interest to members.
The U3A Newsletter is published six times each year and reports on U3A activities, programs, courses and upcoming events. Essential reading for all U3A ACT members. Read the latest:
Please add this to your diary. We need at least 50 members to attend to make our AGM a success.
- An advance Notice Paper is available at www.u3acanberra.org.au/notices/2016_AGM_Notice_Paper.pdf. A copy will be sent to all members in late October.
- Considering nominating yourself, or someone else for the 2017 Committee? A Call for Nominations is at www.u3acanberra.org.au/notices/2016_AGM_Call_for_Nominations.pdf and a Nomination form at www.u3acanberra.org.au/notices/2016_AGM_Nomination_Form.pdf (PDF) or www.u3acanberra.org.au/notices/2016_AGM_Nomination_Form.docx (Word)
- Cakes, sandwiches, tea and coffee will follow.
- Members are invited to contribute their experience, expertise or ideas to plan for an updated, more dynamic U3A ACT website.
- We would like to get a small team together to think about the website & advise the Committee on its design & content. Even if you have no time at present, please let us have your good ideas!
- Further details are provided in eBulletin 295 (www.u3acanberra.org.au/ebulletin/295.html)
For: Outstanding Service Award (OSA) - our highest & most prestigious award to volunteers who have made a very substantial contribution to furthering the objectives of U3A-ACT over a period of at least 10 years.
- Details of the eligibility criteria & assessment process together with downloadable nomination forms can be found at
For: Ten Year Volunteer Recognition Service Certificate - to acknowledge & thank those volunteers who have helped ensure the ongoing & smooth operation of U3A in a wide range of capacities from staffing offices,to helping renew memberships, to organising annual Christmas parties.
- Details of the selection criteria & certificate determination process together with downloadable nomination forms can be found at
For questions about either award, please contact</b> Michael Alder on 0423 100 310 or at
- Proposals for inclusion in the
2017 Prospectusare now being accepted. Courses can be short or full year on virtually any topic, whether a return of an old favourite or completely new.
- The course proposal form is simple to complete and can be found at www.u3acanberra.org.au/courses-leaders.htm ; the course leaders' page which also contains advice on developing prospective courses.
Questions about the process for the 2017 Prospectus should be emailed to
Closing Date - Friday 30 September
- Dance, Choir & Music groups invited to advise interest in participating, & to include details of timing (start to finish) of performance & total number of on stage performers.
- Performance Groups should email their interest to Dorothy Zenz at by Friday 30 September
- Art Groups - Exhibition space as for 2015 in Cook CH: Art in Corridor & Room 3; Photography in Room 2
- For further information, contact Dorothy Zenz on 0400 579 782 or at
As notified in eBulletin 294 (www.u3acanberra.org.au/ebulletin/294.html) there is $10,000 available for the purchase of capital equipment. This funding can be used to purchase items such as musical instruments, computers, electronic equipment, easels for art classes and so on.
Please refer to the eBulletin for further details.
Material donated by by Maureen Bell and Ann Nicholson is available for loan to
U3A members. A list of the titles is available from Sean Forster at or ph 6296 1300.
The U3A North-South French Study Group welcomes new members and meets at the Belconnen Soccer Club (Hawker shops) on Mondays from 10:00 AM to 12:00 NOON
Explore this site using the navigation bar and other links to:
- | learn more about U3A in Canberra |
- see the range of courses on offer |
- check out the next lunchtime forum, half day seminars or film |
- access an application form |
- read the bimonthly newsletter and eBulletins |
- keep up with the latest U3A news and events |
- see our Members' Calendar for the key dates of the U3A ACT year |
- find a list of useful links to U3A sites in Australia, community education opportunities in Canberra and sites that provide a wealth of information for senior Australians |