SUSPENSION OF ALL U3A FACE-TO-FACE ACTIVITIES
13 March 2020
Message from the President re Coronavirous
I write to advise members that from Tuesday 17 March 2020, all U3A ACT face-to-face activities are suspended until further notice. This means that from Tuesday morning:
• There will be no U3A courses or other activities at any location
• Our offices and premises at Cook, Flynn and Hughes will be closed
We would ask those of you who read this and know people who do not use this website or receive our eBulletins to contact them by phone and let them know.
The suspension is based on a number of considerations relating to the Coronavirus outbreak including the following:
• The need to protect our members and our community
• Government advice today to suspend all non-essential gatherings of 500 people or more from Monday 16 March
• Our activities are non-essential in terms of government definitions
• Our membership is more at risk than the general population, being older persons many of whom have pre-existing medical conditions
• Our classroom activities, with classes lasting two hours in a confined space, are the circumstances described by governments as providing close contact and providing a higher risk of transmission of the virus than other settings
The decision is putting U3A slightly ahead of the curve of response by governments, but we do so because of the need to protect our members and the community in our particular circumstances. Other organisations have responded similarly ahead of government requirements.
At this stage we do not know how long the close down will be for. So it is difficult to provide you with any information on what happens next.
I will be in touch with you via the eBulletin or the U3A website as soon as there is a change in circumstances.
Meanwhile my very best wishes to all U3A members in these difficult times.
13 March 2020